Marriage Registration Service in Bangkok, ThailandGetting married in Thailand is pretty straight forward and never been easier. Among many foreigners getting legally married in Thailand has become a practical decision as it serves as quite viable and easy process, an alternative, to that of complex and expensive procedure required to follow to get married in their home country. Things might get more complicated particularly in case of transnational marriage.
The good news about getting married in Thailand is rather straight forward and easy process whether be it marriage between Thai and foreign national or be it between two non-Thais. In order to get married in Thailand following are the steps and procedure to follow
- Get affirmation certificate: Foreigner wanting to get married from in Thailand first should apply for affirmation certificate of being single at their respective embassy. This particular document confirms that a you are legally eligible to get married.
- If a Thai national is one of the spouse then copy of his/her national ID card along with a copy of house registration has to be presented.
- Certification of documents: In order to be recognized under Thai law your affirmation certificate along with your passport has to be translated in Thai and certified at Ministry of foreign affairs in Thailand.
- Witnesses: Minimum of two witnesses are required to sign as witness to your marriage at district office. Both witnesses should be Thai nationals. It is highly recommended if possible one of the witness be relative of either husband or wife.
- Register the marriage: Once all the required documents are acquired in hand then application for the marriage registration can be file at local district office known in Thai as an ‘amphur’ or Khet.
- Once the marriage is registered, marriage certificate is handed to both husband and wife as a proof of registration.
People of any nationality can get legally married in Thailand provided that all the requirement are met. Legally registered marriage in Thailand holds legal standing anywhere in the world. Once marriage registration is completed you will need to register your marriage with your country’s embassy or in some cases you might have to register at your home country. It differs from country to country.
Time line for registering marriage in ThailandAmount of time to acquire affirmation certificate depends on embassy own internal policy otherwise the whole process is much quicker. It will take three to four days to translate and certify your documents. And once the appointment is booked with district office, it will take a day to registered your marriage.
Eligibility for marriage in ThailandMarriage can legally take place when:
- The man and woman have completed their seventeenth year of age. But the Court may, in case of having appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age.
- Either of the man or the woman is not an insane person or adjudged incompetent.
- The man and woman do not have blood relations in the direct ascendant or descendant line, or brother or sister of full or half blood.
- The man and the woman does not have relation of being adopter and adopted.
- The man and the woman are not already the spouse of another person.
- In case of the woman whose husband died or whose marriage has become terminated, the marriage can only take place if not less than three hundred and ten days (310) have elapsed since the termination of her previous marriage; unless
- a child has been born during such period
- the divorced couple remarry;
- there is a certificate issued by a qualified doctor who is a lawful physical practitioner in medicine showing that the woman is not pregnant;
- there is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry.
Even if you are on a quick tour of the country, you can opt for PNP International Legal for registering your marriage and we will take care of all the aspects associated with it.
We can ensure that all relevant documents are acquired in compliance with the legal requirement. Marriage is one of the exciting phases of a person’s life and we, at PNP International Legal, make sure that they spend this time happily by taking care of all the hassles associated with marriage registration.